Mission Statement  

To challenge students, parents, and faculty to grow daily as problem solvers, productive citizens and life long learners.

  About The School  

History of Tyner

Tyner High School was erected in 1907 as the first secondary school in Hamilton County east of Missionary Ridge at the site of the current Tyner Academy Middle School. The first class consisted of 25 students. The school was moved to the current location which has had many additions and changes since 1937. Today, Tyner Academy boasts 570 students in 3 Career Academies and a Freshman Academy.

Tyner-High-School-1924-25

Tyner High School 1924-25

Over the 100 Years, Tyner Academy has achieved many milestones through the reign of the 11 principals:

  • Sept. 9, 1907 first day of school at Tyner Baptist Church (school building wasn't ready) until dedication on November 26, 1907.
  • 1922 – Running Water
  • 1924 – Electric Lights
  • 1926 – Cafeteria was added
  • 1931 – First Choral & Instrumental Programs
  • 1937 – New Building with classrooms, cafeteria, gymnasium, library and offices
  • 1942 – First Yearbook called "Talley Ho"
  • 1946 --Tyner Memorial Field Dedicated (inaugurating night football)
  • 1955 – Ram became the official school mascot
  • 1958 – Ninth grade moved to the middle school
  • 1962 – Auditorium and annex added
  • 1967 – New football stadium constructed
  • 1974 – Annexed into city limits of Chattanooga and became part of Chattanooga City Schools
  • 1975 – New gymnasium built
  • 1981 – New vocational building constructed
  • 1984 – Montice B. Howard Library Dedicated
  • 1986 – New cafeteria and science labs built
  • 1989 – Ninth grade returned
  • 1998 – Became part of Hamilton County Schools when Chattanooga City Schools went out of business
  • 1999 – Renamed – Tyner Academy of Math, Science, and Technology
  • 1999 – First lottery students from Magnet Grant and science labs upgraded
  • 2004 – Second Magnet Grant Awarded – Implemented Career Academies
  • 2007 – Celebrate 100 Years